At 03:36:03 in the morning, on 10 July 2026, I finally finished watching The Sheep Detectives. I know, 03:36:03 is unnecessarily specific, but somehow I like remembering exactly when I finish things. Perhaps years from now I will look back at this and wonder why I was awake at that hour watching a flock of sheep solve a murder.
The Sheep Detectives is a 2026 mystery comedy directed by Kyle Balda and written by Craig Mazin, based on Leonie Swann’s novel Three Bags Full. It follows George Hardy, played by Hugh Jackman, a shepherd who reads detective novels aloud to his flock every night, never really imagining that the sheep understand what he is saying. Then something happens on the farm, and suddenly those stories they have been listening to become rather useful. The sheep decide to investigate for themselves, following clues and watching the humans around them while trying to work out what really happened. The human cast includes Emma Thompson, Nicholas Braun, Nicholas Galitzine, Molly Gordon and Hong Chau, while the sheep are given voices by Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Bryan Cranston, Chris O’Dowd, Patrick Stewart, Regina Hall, Bella Ramsey, Rhys Darby and Brett Goldstein.
And I actually enjoyed it.
There is something pleasantly stupid about the premise, but I mean that affectionately. The film knows exactly what it is doing with the absurdity of having a group of sheep behave like amateur detectives. Yet beneath the humour there is a surprisingly intelligent little mystery taking place. They have learned about crime from stories, so they try to apply what they have learned to the strange situation happening around them. Watching them interpret human behaviour through the limited understanding of sheep is where much of the fun comes from. They are curious, suspicious, occasionally completely wrong, and somehow still convinced that they have everything figured out.
I also liked that the film does not immediately throw everything at you. There is a mystery sitting somewhere in the middle of all those quiet fields and human conversations, and the sheep are slowly putting pieces together. I won’t say much more about what they discover because I think the fun is in allowing the clues to arrive naturally. There are certain things I could probably explain here, but then I would be taking away the reason for watching it in the first place.
Perhaps I enjoyed it more because I genuinely needed something like this.
I haven’t really had much time to sit down and watch movies lately. July started with business, things to do, things to think about, and the usual feeling that there is always something else waiting after the thing I have just finished. At some point I realised that perhaps I needed to stop trying to be productive for a while and simply give my brain something completely unnecessary to think about.
So there I was at 03:36:03 in the morning, watching sheep investigate a murder.
And honestly, it was a good way to spend the night.
Sometimes I don’t need a complicated film that asks me to understand the meaning of life. Sometimes I just need a quiet farm, a suspicious flock, a strange mystery and enough humour to make me forget everything else for a couple of hours.
I’m glad I finally watched it.
Labels: MovieMarathon